Anonymity of JnNBK


Please understand my anonymity on my blog. I write of all my life's experiences and belive that I should keep my identity and the identity of the people in my life to be anonymous. I am honest with my life experiences and some may find it offensive if anyone else was to discover of their true identity. I am expelling secrets that some would feel very uncomfortable about doing and/or would not want anyone else to know the full truth of the situation. Thank-you for your understanding and respecting my wishes.

JnNBK

My photo
Canada
I am a divorced semi-single parent of a beautiful girl. I say "semi-single parent" as I am in a committed relationship with an amazing man(whom I refer to as "Handsome"). I'm currently battling with stints of depression caused by hormone replacement therapy (HRT). I am constantly at war with myself over the choices and decisions I make as an individual, partner & mother. I love being a mother & I am very blessed to have my daughter in many, many ways. I view myself as a survivor. I know that I am capable of surviving anything that life may toss my way. Sometimes we all need to escape from the recesses of our own mind and the best way I do that is through the beauty of mother nature & laughter. There is no better cure for the blues than a good hardy laughing session.

Email

Feel free to leave comments on my blog or contact me directly via email at: jnnbkblogger@gmail.com

Monday, November 7, 2011

Financial Struggles of a Single Parent

I can not fathom why a parent would not want to have anything to do with their child. How can they not want to know what they are up to or how things are going on in their lives? It is very hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that my daughter’s father has not seen her in over two years and has not called her in over seven months.



I would be going nuts! If I was in his position I would be calling daily to see how her day was at school; check to see if she is enjoying her dance classes and how she is in general. You could not pay me enough money to not see her/have a relationship with her. Also, I can not understand shrugging off all my parental responsibilities ... including any financial responsibilities. I would do everything in my power to ensure that child support was paid and offer any other assistance for my child by purchasing clothing, toys, books and anything she may need or require.

I do find it frustrating that I do not receive child support and now he is hiding from MEP to avoid getting his wages garnished (again). He has managed to find a new loop hole....he quit his previous employer and is avoiding MEP to confirm his new employer. Now he can hide from paying child support (well at least until he files taxes). Does he honestly think that he is just punishing me? I will go without before my daughter ever does - I will do whatever it takes to ensure that she has the necessities in life; even if that means I walk around with holey underwear and bras.



As a single parent I do struggle to make ends meet and run off of a very strict budget. I have never banked on receiving child support (which has turned out to be very wise of me). The rare times that I have received any payment from MEP it has been a bonus and that money is used to go have "fun" with my daughter while placing majority of it for her future education savings. My current budget is tight and doesn’t allow me the luxury of taking my daughter out to movies, dinner and going to new exciting places. I know that this is a fact of life, but at times I beat myself up for not being able to do these type of activities with my little one. What parent doesn’t want to do "fun" outings with their children.


I think that it is pretty sad that my daughter tells her friends that something is "just not in my mommy’s budget". Yes, this may be teaching my daughter the appreciation for money and makes her realize that there isn’t much free in life. But should a child need to learn this fact at such an young age?

There are times that I lay awake at night madder than snot that her father shrugs off all responsibilities and limits the type of lifestyle I could potentially offer our daughter while he goes gallivanting around the city with no real cares in the world to tie his conscience down. He wares expensive name brand clothing and accessories and goes out every weekend "living it up" while I have to sit and explain to my little girl that maybe in three to five paychecks I might be able to afford taking her to see a movie in the theaters.


Does this really sound fair?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My hat’s off to you, girl. You have every right in the world to lash out at his father, but you knew that it means nothing to him and you will be just wasting your precious time. You have indeed a strong will and good perception on how to properly manage things. I know your daughter understands you, but pains me to see that she had her eyes open at a young age. I believe this too shall pass, and there will come a time that everything will fall into place.


Cinthia Mull