Anonymity of JnNBK


Please understand my anonymity on my blog. I write of all my life's experiences and belive that I should keep my identity and the identity of the people in my life to be anonymous. I am honest with my life experiences and some may find it offensive if anyone else was to discover of their true identity. I am expelling secrets that some would feel very uncomfortable about doing and/or would not want anyone else to know the full truth of the situation. Thank-you for your understanding and respecting my wishes.

JnNBK

My photo
Canada
I am a divorced semi-single parent of a beautiful girl. I say "semi-single parent" as I am in a committed relationship with an amazing man(whom I refer to as "Handsome"). I'm currently battling with stints of depression caused by hormone replacement therapy (HRT). I am constantly at war with myself over the choices and decisions I make as an individual, partner & mother. I love being a mother & I am very blessed to have my daughter in many, many ways. I view myself as a survivor. I know that I am capable of surviving anything that life may toss my way. Sometimes we all need to escape from the recesses of our own mind and the best way I do that is through the beauty of mother nature & laughter. There is no better cure for the blues than a good hardy laughing session.

Email

Feel free to leave comments on my blog or contact me directly via email at: jnnbkblogger@gmail.com

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Beginners' Adult Ballet Class

This evening I participated in my first Adult "Beginners" Ballet Class.



At first my thought was .... I will take the "beginners" class because, hell, it has been over 16 years since I have done ballet. A "beginners" class will ease me back into the routine and refresh my memory of ballet. It will be a nice way to become more active, limber, flexible and toned.

Well .... Let me tell you! It was an eye opening experience for me. First off, I was the chunky biscuit in the class - what a way to feel more over weight than I already do. We started off with some stretches; as the progressed my body screamed silently in protest! Mental note: "yup you are more out of shape than you thought you were". The toe stretches were excruciating.... my feel have definitely went to the way side and I have was amazed how easily and fast they can deteriorate without regular training.



Then, we moved onto the barre - - this wasn't to bad. I remembered all the basic feet and arm positions. I did, however, became very aware that my posture has slid down hill over the years and that I will need to focus and recondition my body while practising barre work. The leg raises were not my body's favourite as it sure felt the burn.


Once that was done we moved to the dance floor to work on and practice some step combinations, jumps and etc (the fast work of the class). I felt slow, unfit, uncoordinated as the instructor moved along in a quick pace and just plain stupid. Here I was, someone with previous dance experience fumbling to keep the up to the class and instructor; I was struggling with the jumps and just looking lost in general. I was short of breath, my knee was yelling at me with every step, my calves burned and threatened to cramp up.

At the end of the class I was sweaty, tired but exhilarated (after all I did complete the 75 minute class). But driving home I became deflated at the knowledge that my coordination is off, my memory lacks, my body not what it used to be and is laughing at me (as well as some of the other women in the class).

I will digest this all as I sleep and I will think about returning. Not because I didn't enjoy the work and exercise, but primarily from feeling fat, stupid and un-coordinated in front of strangers (who are, YES, paying close attention to what others are doing). We will see what my mood changes with this food for thought.

No comments: