Anonymity of JnNBK


Please understand my anonymity on my blog. I write of all my life's experiences and belive that I should keep my identity and the identity of the people in my life to be anonymous. I am honest with my life experiences and some may find it offensive if anyone else was to discover of their true identity. I am expelling secrets that some would feel very uncomfortable about doing and/or would not want anyone else to know the full truth of the situation. Thank-you for your understanding and respecting my wishes.

JnNBK

My photo
Canada
I am a divorced semi-single parent of a beautiful girl. I say "semi-single parent" as I am in a committed relationship with an amazing man(whom I refer to as "Handsome"). I'm currently battling with stints of depression caused by hormone replacement therapy (HRT). I am constantly at war with myself over the choices and decisions I make as an individual, partner & mother. I love being a mother & I am very blessed to have my daughter in many, many ways. I view myself as a survivor. I know that I am capable of surviving anything that life may toss my way. Sometimes we all need to escape from the recesses of our own mind and the best way I do that is through the beauty of mother nature & laughter. There is no better cure for the blues than a good hardy laughing session.

Email

Feel free to leave comments on my blog or contact me directly via email at: jnnbkblogger@gmail.com

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Super Models vs. The Average of Soceity

I strongly believe that the fashion industry has created an unrealistic idea on body image. I have yet to see what is an average size person for the majority of society in a fashion magazine.


We look at these beautiful super models; desiring their figures and their sexual aura that they ooze throughout the camera lens. But do we ever stop to think what kind of hardship did that model go through to obtain the stick figure? Do we actually comprehend the time it takes to get the beautiful, perfect hair and the flawless make-up on? Chances are when that model woke up to head off to her photo shoot she/he looked just like the most of us do first thing in the morning with no make-up on. The only major difference is that he/she is abnormally thin from dieting, severe exercising. Most of those models have major eating disorders to ensure their figure is ban on for the demands of the fashion industry.


I think that it would be refreshing to see a regular mother dolled up to the nines in one of those magazines. Once you have a child your body is never what it was before you conceived. Your hips never really go back to the exact size they were pre-pregnancy. Some mothers have stretch marks now and our breasts change from breast feeding (they are not as "perky" or firm as they once were).


Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining. I believe that it is a true right of passage to have a child and that the changes our body undertakes is something to be cherished. I just want to see a size 13/14 woman in a magazine looking back at me. The average size for a Canadian female is  a size 12 to 15 which is a far cry from the average size of a model.


I truly believe that if the fashion industry were to have the average size person in society in their magazines that we would see a huge reduction in eating disorders and usage of diet pills. I am a strong believer that eating a proper healthy diet and completing daily exercise should be enough on any anyone's plate than adding the stress of trying to become ridiculous thin like the super models are.


We need to take in consideration of our bone structure and our height to calculate what the ideal BMI we should be (which does vary to each individual). We should try to strive to be in our ideal BMI range and accept our bodies curves when we are within that range. The BMI range is calculated by medical personnel that state that is when we will be at our healthiest size and weight. 


So why doesn't the fashion industry embrace that?

No comments: