Anonymity of JnNBK


Please understand my anonymity on my blog. I write of all my life's experiences and belive that I should keep my identity and the identity of the people in my life to be anonymous. I am honest with my life experiences and some may find it offensive if anyone else was to discover of their true identity. I am expelling secrets that some would feel very uncomfortable about doing and/or would not want anyone else to know the full truth of the situation. Thank-you for your understanding and respecting my wishes.

JnNBK

My photo
Canada
I am a divorced semi-single parent of a beautiful girl. I say "semi-single parent" as I am in a committed relationship with an amazing man(whom I refer to as "Handsome"). I'm currently battling with stints of depression caused by hormone replacement therapy (HRT). I am constantly at war with myself over the choices and decisions I make as an individual, partner & mother. I love being a mother & I am very blessed to have my daughter in many, many ways. I view myself as a survivor. I know that I am capable of surviving anything that life may toss my way. Sometimes we all need to escape from the recesses of our own mind and the best way I do that is through the beauty of mother nature & laughter. There is no better cure for the blues than a good hardy laughing session.

Email

Feel free to leave comments on my blog or contact me directly via email at: jnnbkblogger@gmail.com

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Soul Screamers Reading Challenge - My Soul To Take

My Soul To Take is the first book in the Soul Screamer series by Rachel Vincent. It is an excellent start to the series, full of suspense, intrigue, mystery and page turning excitement.


The story is about the main character, Kaylee Cavanaugh, who lives with her Uncle Brendon, Aunt Val and her snotty brat cousin, Sophie. Kaylee is also estranged from her father, Aiden, who lives in Ireland. She attends the local high school with Sophie, her best friend, Emma Marshall, and the mysterious and irresistible chic magnet, Nash Hudson. Within the next four hectic, chaotic and emotional days Kaylee will discover that she, in fact, is not your average or ordinary teenage girl and that her life is about to become very strange very fast.

It starts off with Kaylee and Emma sneaking into an over 18 dance club on Saturday night for an evening of fun. While there Kaylee catches the attention of Nash Hudson basking in the warmth of his hypnotic gaze and is thoroughly enjoying dancing with him. Everything, seemingly, is perfect until Kaylee spots a strawberry-blonde female (a stranger) dancing. Kaylee knows that something is terribly wrong with this girl. A dark sense of foreboding overtakes Kaylee because this girl is shadowed and she just knows without a doubt that the girl will die very soon ...

Struggling to contain the earsplitting scream that instinctively claws inside her throat striving to get out. Nash and Emma manage to get Kaylee out of the club then calm her down from her panic attack. Concerned, Nash asks questions and, for some unknown reason, Kaylee discloses what she could never tell before - not even to her best friend.

The next morning it is all over the local news -- the strawberry-blonde, Heidi Anderson, was found dead in the dance club's bathroom. Later on that evening Kaylee becomes aware that another teenage girl collapsed dead in a movie theatre. Is this just a coincidence? Kaylee doesn't feel like it is and senses that something is terribly wrong. While Kaylee comes to grips with the fact that her panic attacks are more than just that - that they're, in fact, morbid premonitions of death. Nash seems to understand more about what is happening to Kaylee more tthan what seems to be possible.

The following day, Kaylee, Emma and Nash are discussing the odd similarities of these two girls deaths when Kaylee, again, is struck with a premonition that another girl is about to die. As Kaylee scans the crowd her line of vision focuses on one girl in particular as she is cloaked in those eerily dark shadows. Minutes later that same girl collapses dead. 

Kaylee's suspicions are growing and too many questions come to mind. Nash has the answers to a few and believes he knows someone that may know the answers to the rest ... Tod, a brooding, sarcastic, rookie Reaper.



It is hard to tell you anything more about the story without divulging any of the fantastic twists and turns; there are plenty of surprises to uncover in this novel. Rachel Vincent's writing is fantastic due to it's quick pace and originality. She has such a fluid way of writing and manages to describe inter-actions in unique manner that you actually feel like you are in the room with the characters.

Kaylee is an amazing character - she is so caring, ordinary in concept, extremely loyal, giving, stubborn and fierce. Also, she is intelligent with a hint of insecurity that you just can not help yourself but to fall for her. I love the characters wry humour and quirkiness. I found it easy to become attached to the characters and I felt as one with their thoughts, feelings, fears and desires.

My overall rating for this book is:  4.4 out of 5

No comments: